Services & Products
Iron & Steel Products Business Unit
We are committed to realizing a sustainable society by building value chains that contribute to the transition toward becoming a low-carbon emitting society, de-carbonization and circularity, based on our diverse connections with the market and industry.
- Manufacture and sale of iron and steel products
- Manufacturing and trading of iron and steel products that contribute to carbon reduction / de-carbonization (e.g., electric-arc furnaces)
- Steel product processing and parts manufacturing
- Processing of iron products and provision of Just-in-Time (JIT) functions through service centers, and manufacture of automotive parts and other components
- Provision of maintenance functions that help to extend the lifespan of structures and facilities
- Development of a closed-loop recycling framework in collaboration with the Mineral & Metal Resources Business Unit
- Logistics digital transformation (DX)
- Provision of a digital platform that contributes to realization of a low-carbon / de-carbonized society and circular economy
Strengthening our auto industry value chain (02:01)
With Gestamp's advanced technologies (hot stamping) and global network, improve the vehicle safety and environmental impact
We operate our business across a wide range of value chains, from steel manufacturing and sale of steel products to steel processing, parts manufacturing, maintenance, and recycling.
Building value chains through materials supply, processing, and manufacturing
In steel manufacturing, we are working to expand our business base in Japan and overseas through investment in Yamato Kogyo Co., Ltd., the largest independent electric furnace manufacturer in Japan, and are building a steel product supply framework in emerging countries experiencing rapid growth. We have also established a solid sales network through Mitsui & Co. Steel, Ltd., MM＆KENZAI Corporation, and Nippon Steel Trading Corporation, which engage in the trading of steel products.
In the field of steel processing services, we own approximately 30 processing centers in North America, which we acquired through investment in Steel Technologies LLC of the U.S. In the area of parts manufacturing, downstream in the supply chain, we invested in Gestamp Automoción, S.L., an auto parts manufacturer with over 100 locations worldwide, as well as in GRI Renewable Industries, the world’s largest manufacturer of towers for wind power. Through these and other investments in the manufacturing industry, we are building value chains that extend beyond steel product trading and processing.
Developing new business with a view to realize a low-carbon / de-carbonized society and circular economy
As aging infrastructure becomes an issue for societies around the world and as interest in circularity increases, we have continued to strengthen our maintenance business to help extend the lifespan of structures and facilities. In 2019 we established SHO-BOND & MIT Infrastructure Maintenance Corporation, and in 2021 we established Horizon Ocean Management, Ltd., which provides inspection and maintenance services for offshore wind power generation facilities.
As part of our efforts to build a low-carbon / de-carbonized society, in addition to contributing to material supply, we are working to solve the problems faced by every stakeholder in the supply chain through our LCA Plus platform, which offers one-stop services for visualizing greenhouse gas emissions volumes at the individual product level.
We have teamed up with the Mineral & Metal Resources Business Unit to further expand the menu of services we provide, and are taking on the challenge of working with manufacturers and customers to build closed-loop recycling.
- Electric furnace steel manufacturing business with Yamato Kogyo Group (Thailand)
- Automotive components manufacturing business with Gestamp Automoción, S.L. (Spain, Americas)
- Expansion of steel processing centers throughout North America with Nucor Corporation (North America)
- Development, manufacturing and sales of high-efficiency motors for industry and EV powertrain with TECO Electric & Machinery Co., Ltd. (India)
- Steel processing and logistics business with Baowu Steel Group Corporation (China)
- Steel processing and sales business with ArcelorMittal Gonvarri Brasil S.A. (Brasil)
- Development of infrastructure maintenance business overseas with SHO-BOND Holdings Co., Ltd., (Asia)
- Fabrication of offshore structures and the provision of repair and technical support services in the oil & gas and renewable energy industries with Global Energy Holdings Ltd. (UK)
- Wind turbine tower and flange manufacturing business with GRI Renewable Industries, S.L. (Spain)
- Inspection and maintenance business for offshore wind power facilities with Horizon Ocean Management, Ltd. (Japan)
Releases & Topics
- Aug. 2, 2023TOPICS
- Mitsui Invests in U.S. Infrastructure Repair Company
- Jul. 5, 2023Releases
- Mitsui Completes Acquisition of 100% shares of STATS (UK) Ltd. Acquisition of Global Pipeline Repair Equipment Manufacturer and Technical Services Provider.
- Jun. 29, 2023TOPICS
- Mitsui launches digital platform for housebuilding materials and services
- Aug. 3, 2022TOPICS
- Launch of LCA Plus Service — Japan's First Platform for Visualizing Greenhouse Gas Emissions for Individual Products