Services & Products
Energy Business Unit I
Pursuing a stable supply of energy through a value chain business spanning upstream to downstream
- Exploration, development and production of oil, natural gas and other energy resources
- Trading and marketing of oil, petroleum products, coal, uranium and other energy resources
Aiming for zero-emission generation from coal-fired power stations (02:10)
Successfully completed test operation of oxyfuel combustion technology on Callide-A, currently working on commercialization
Building a balanced energy resource portfolio and developing a value chain business
Energy Business Unit I is focused on establishing a stable supply system to meet growing energy demand, while maintaining a well-balanced energy resource portfolio and further developing its energy value chain business spanning upstream to downstream.
Mitsui's core oil and natural gas assets for exploration, development and production are based in the Middle East, Southeast Asia, Oceania, North America, and Europe, and we maintain a portfolio that is balanced in terms of geography, products, development phases and partners. In the U.S. we utilize Mitsui's comprehensive strengths to build a value chain that leverages our upstream business in such areas as chemicals, liquefaction facilities and other plants, and steel products for drilling and ships. Utilizing our knowledge and expertise accumulated in the upstream business, we are also pursuing a range of new initiatives including equity participation in a company engaged in Carbon dioxide Capture and Storage (CCS)/Carbon dioxide Capture, Utilization and Storage (CCUS) projects, and the development of geothermal projects.
To strengthen our downstream oil activities in Asia, where demand is expected to grow, we have moved our base of operations from Japan to Singapore, and conduct our global crude oil and petroleum product trading and marketing primarily through Mitsui & Co. Energy Trading Singapore Pte. Ltd. In coal distribution, we import and sell to domestic customers. In addition, we are working to establish a stable biofuel supply system for Japanese consumers, which is increasing in demand in line with trends in climate change initiatives. We are also participating in a woody biomass power generation business in Tomakomai and Shimokawa in Hokkaido. Furthermore, we contribute to stable nuclear power generation through our nuclear fuel cycle business. Our goal is to contribute to a stable supply of energy, and we will constantly endeavor to enhance our trading activities to meet diverse customer needs.
- Greater Enfeild oil field development and production projects (Australia)
- Gulf of Thailand oil and natural gas field development and production project (Thailand)
- Oman oil and natural gas development and production project (Oman)
- Marcellus shale gas development and production project (U.S.A.)
- Eagle Ford shale oil and gas development and production project (U.S.A.)
- Tempa Rossa oil field development and production project (Italy)
- Downstream oil activities in Asian market through Mitsui & Co. Energy Trading Singapore Pte. Ltd. (Singapore)
- Kaikias deep-water project in the Gulf of Mexico (U.S.A.)
Releases & Topics
- Jun. 27, 2023TOPICS
- Mitsui Concludes Agreement on the Joint Development of CCS Project in Malaysia
- Jun. 22, 2023TOPICS
- Commencement of Pilot Tests of New Geothermal Technology with Chevron in Japan
- Apr. 20, 2023Releases
- Acquisition of unconventional gas asset in Texas, U.S.A.
- Jan. 18, 2023TOPICS
- Mitsui and Kansai Electric Power Sign Memorandum of Understanding on CCS Feasibility Study