Services & Products
Energy Business Unit I
Being a leading integrated energy player
- Exploration, development and production of oil and natural gas, uranium and other energy resources
- Trading and marketing of oil, petroleum products, coal, uranium and other energy resources
Aiming for zero-emission generation from coal-fired power stations (02:10)
Successfully completed test operation of oxyfuel combustion technology on Callide-A, currently working on commercialization
Building a balanced energy resource portfolio and developing a value chain business
Energy Business Unit I aims to maintain a well-balanced energy resource portfolio and to develop a value chain business while establishing a stable supply system to meet growing energy demand.
Mitsui's core oil and natural gas assets for exploration, development and production are based in the Middle East, Southeast Asia, Oceania, North America, and Europe. In addition to pursuing opportunities for the expansion of our existing business, we are continuously seeking new robust upstream resource business opportunities, including unconventional resources such as shale gas and oil and participation from the exploration stage. Through these activities, we intend to build a sizable business portfolio that is balanced in terms of geography, products, development phases and partners. We will also utilize Mitsui's comprehensive strengths to build a value chain by leveraging our U.S. shale gas and oil business in such areas as chemicals, liquefaction facilities and other plants, and steel products for drilling and ships. We are also pursuing development of new technologies such as commercialization of clean coal technology.
To strengthen our downstream oil activities in Asia, where demand is expected to grow, we have moved our base of operations from Japan to Singapore, and we conduct our global crude oil and petroleum product trading and marketing primarily through Mitsui & Co. Energy Trading Singapore Pte. Ltd. We are also strengthening our coal marketing activities, focusing on the Asian market, along with imports of coal for domestic customers. Furthermore, we contribute to stable nuclear power generation through our nuclear fuel cycle business and uranium trading activities. Our goal is to stabilize energy security, and we will constantly endeavor to enhance our trading activities to meet various customer needs.
Development of next generation energy and environmental business
As the world becomes increasingly conscious of global environmental issues, we are also becoming actively involved in environmentally-friendly business with the aim of realizing a low carbon society. By organically linking our diverse functions as a sogo shosha (general trading company), we pursue the development of projects that help prevent global warming. We are also proceeding with environmental and next-generation energy business including the commercialization of renewable energies such as biofuel, development of next-generation energy sources, and development of a hydrogen transportation and storage model.
In 2014, we invested in LanzaTech, a venture company that is developing a gas fermentation process technology using microorganisms, and in 2015, we completed the Callide Oxyfuel Demonstration Project in Australia, successfully demonstrating Oxyfuel technology which captures CO2 emitted from coal-fired power plants.
- Enfield/Vincent oil field development and production projects (Australia)
- Gulf of Thailand oil and natural gas field development and production project (Thailand)
- Oman oil and natural gas development and production project (Oman)
- Marcellus shale gas development and production project (U.S.A.)
- Eagle Ford shale oil and gas development and production project (U.S.A.)
- Alba/Britannia oil and natural gas field development and production projects (North Sea, U.K.)
- Tempa Rossa oil field development and production project (Italy)
- Downstream oil activities in Asian market through Mitsui & Co. Energy Trading Singapore Pte. Ltd. (Singapore)
- Feb. 27, 2017
- Selection of Geothermal Project in the Matsuo-Hachimantai Area of Iwate Prefecture for Liability Guarantee