Services & Products
Performance Materials Business Unit
Developing diversified businesses utilizing the functionality of materials to bring sustainable prosperity to people’s lives.
- Functional Materials
- Plastic polymers and synthetic rubbers, hydrogen & industrial gas, silicone and fluorocarbon polymers, titanium oxide and businesses related to circular economy, etc.
- Advanced Materials
- Display materials & products, semiconductor & substrate materials, battery materials, EMS (Electronics Manufacturing Service) and dental-related business, etc.
- Specialty Chemicals
- Beauty and personal care products, green/bio-based raw materials, raw materials for detergents, surfactants and lubricant oils, etc.
- Living & Environmental Materials
- Forest resources such as woodchips, afforestation and carbon credit business, pulp & paper products, tires, and housing materials, etc.
Green Chemical Business (03:29)
Produces chemical raw materials such as fatty acids and glycerin using RSPO-certified palm oil
Addressing global issues such as climate change and carbon neutrality
By utilizing the functionality of materials and creating added value, the Performance Materials Business Unit aims to develop business in a wide range of growth industries in order to realize a sustainable society and enriched lives for people around the world.
In the Functional and advanced materials business areas, we offer global distribution of plastic polymers and inorganic chemicals, plastic recycling, GHG emission visualization services, and hydrogen infrastructure business, as a total solution provider for key materials business underpinning key manufacturing industries. In the electronics industry, we also provide procurement and logistics services to electronics component manufacturers (EMS), as well as handling semiconductors, substrates and rechargeable battery materials. In the specialty chemicals business area, we handle beauty and personal care products that meet the needs of a diverse range of consumers, and we are responding to the growing market demand for environmentally friendly solutions through our proactive engagement in the green/biochemical businesses, which use non-petrochemical raw materials. In the living & environmental business area, we are aiming to bring prosperity to people’s lives and to create a recycling and low-carbon society on a global scale through our environment minded forest resource assets, afforestation & carbon credit business, along with initiatives in paper, housing and tire materials, that contribute to enrichment in people’s daily lives and support various industries.
Developing businesses in various industries in collaboration with diverse strategic partners
The business operations of the Performance Materials Business Unit create links between not only chemical industries but also a variety of adjacent industries. Addressing social needs and issues, it contributes to solutions through the creation of new business focused on the development of materials with more sophisticated functions, in a variety of fields, such as mobility, electronics, beauty and personal care, the housing industry, forestry, and hydrogen & industrial gas infrastructure, etc.
- Distribution of plastics resin and products at Mitsui & Co. Plastics Ltd and Mitsui Plastics Trading (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. (Japan, China)
- Sales and marketing of paper pulp and packaging materials-related products at Mitsui Bussan Packaging Co., Ltd. (Japan)
- Afforestation & Carbon credit project and Woodchip trading (Australia, Chile)
- Development of fueling systems such as high pressure tanks and hydrogen for commercial vehicles (U.S.A., Europe)
- Manufacturing and distribution of raw materials for detergents (linear alkylbenzene) at LABIX Inc. (Thailand)
- Semiconductor back-end processing business at CONNECTEC JAPAN Co. and EMS business (Japan, China)
Releases & Topics
- Apr. 13, 2022TOPICS
- Mitsui & Co., Ltd. Invests in the French Renewable Green Hydrogen Manufacturer, Lhyfe Operating in Europe by taking part in Lhyfe’s Fundraising
- Feb. 24, 2022TOPICS
- AIR WATER and Mitsui Reach Agreement on Strategic Alliance Aimed at Global Cooperation Centered on the Industrial Gas Business
- Dec. 3, 2021TOPICS
- Mitsui to Participate in Forestry Carbon Credit Investment in Australia
- Sep. 13, 2021TOPICS
- Mitsui Signs MOU with PureCycle Technologies to Develop Recycled Polypropylene Production Project in Japan
- Jun. 17, 2020TOPICS
- Expansion of collaboration with hydrogen station operator in California