Services & Products
Performance Materials Business Unit
Developing diversified businesses utilizing the functionality of materials to bring sustainable prosperity to people’s lives.
- Functional Materials
- Synthetic polymers and rubbers, inorganic chemicals, silicone and fluorine, hydrogen & industrial gases, and businesses related to Circular Economy, etc.
- Advanced Materials
- Display materials & products, semiconductor & substrate materials, battery materials, Electronics Manufacturing Service(EMS) and dental business, etc.
- Specialty Chemicals
- Beauty and personal care, green/bio-based raw materials, detergent raw materials, lubricant oils, etc.
- Living & Environmental Materials
- Forest resources, paper products, tires, and housing materials, etc.
Green Chemical Business (03:29)
Produces chemical raw materials such as fatty acids and glycerin using RSPO-certified palm oil
Addressing global issues such as climate change and circular economy
The Performance Materials Business Unit aims to develop material-based business in a wide range of growth industries in order to realize a sustainable society and prosperous lives for people around the world.
In the functional materials business areas, we offer global distribution of synthetic polymers and inorganic chemicals, plastic recycling, GHG emission visualization services, and hydrogen infrastructure business. In the advanced materials business areas, we provide procurement and logistics services to electronics component manufacturers (EMS), and dental practice management services in the U.S. market. We also handle semiconductors, substrates and rechargeable battery materials. In the specialty chemicals business area, we handle beauty and personal care products that meet the needs of a diverse range of consumers, and we are responding to the growing market demand for environmentally friendly solutions through our proactive engagement in green/biochemical businesses that use non-petrochemical raw materials. In the living & environmental business area, we develop environment minded forest resource business, along with initiatives in paper, housing and tire materials that contribute to enrichment in people’s daily lives and support various industries. As a Business Unit, we aim to bring prosperity to people’s lives, and create a circular economy and low-carbon society.
Developing businesses in various industries in collaboration with diverse strategic partners
The Performance Materials Business Unit creates links between not only the chemical industries but also a variety of adjacent industries. Addressing social needs, we aim to solve global issues and create new businesses in a variety of fields, such as mobility, electronics, beauty and personal care, forestry, and hydrogen & industrial gases infrastructure, etc.
- Forest resources & Afforestation (Australia, Americas), nature-based real assets investment management (Australia)
- Developing hydrogen distribution systems through investment in composite cylinder business, station business and green hydrogen production (Americas, Europe)
- Manufacturing and sale of functional food containers in Southeast Asia (Malaysia)
- Manufacturing and distribution of raw materials for detergents (linear alkylbenzene) (Thailand)
- Semiconductor back-end processing business and EMS business (Japan, China)
- Sales of synthetic polymers, electronic materials, etc. at Mitsui & Co. Plastics Ltd (Japan) and Mitsui Plastics Trading (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. (China)
- Sales of paper and packaging materials at Mitsui Bussan Packaging Co., Ltd. (Japan)
Releases & Topics
- Aug. 29, 2023TOPICS
- Investment in Southeast Asian Forestry Resource Fund Managed by New Forests Asia (Singapore)
- Aug. 21, 2023Releases
- Mitsui to Acquire US Based Cosmetics Contract Manufacturer
- Feb. 28, 2023TOPICS
- Mitsui Forms a Capital Alliance with Kao for Beauty and Personal Care Business in Brazil
- Oct. 21, 2022TOPICS
- Mitsui & Co. Subscribes for Convertible Bonds Issued by Nouveau Monde Graphite, a Canadian Manufacturer of Anode Materials for Lithium-ion Batteries