Services & Products
Energy Solutions Business Unit
Pursuing a unique, multifaceted, and flexible approach to develop and deliver industrial solutions for global climate change, bringing together the knowledge, business foundations, and customer and partner base of Mitsui & Co.’s diverse business fields
- Next-generation power (distributed renewable energy (RE) generation, storage batteries, energy management services, virtual power plants)
- Electricity wholesale, retail, trading, and aggregation
- Next-generation mobility infrastructure (Battery as a Service, EV infrastructure, etc.)
- Next-generation energy (biofuels, SAF, hydrogen, ammonia, carbon management such as emission credits and CO2 utilization)
- New business that anticipates structural changes, joint initiatives with other Business Units, businesses that consider the global environment (development of low-carbon cities, hydrogen societies, smart cities, etc.)
Promoting integrated energy services
Major changes are currently taking place in global energy markets. Europe, the United States and other developed nations across the world have liberalized their energy markets, new businesses are emerging through technological innovation, companies are strengthening their ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) strategies, and there is a growing need for power grid resilience. Our goal is to create clean and sustainable businesses as an integrated energy service provider that can meet the diverse needs of society and customers.
In 2017 we established Forefront Power, a U.S.-based distributed solar power business, and following our acquisition and integration of SunEdison's Commercial & Industrial Division, we have been working to develop distributed solar power in the United States and abroad. In recent years, the surge in volume of renewable energy being generated has led to a number of issues, including increased load on transmission and distribution grid systems, imbalance in electricity bills, and complicated supply and demand adjustments. In response, we are working to develop new business models that offer energy management services to meet the needs of diversifying consumers, while also promoting the global development of distributed power generation.
In response to increased market volatility caused by the rapid spread of renewable energy, we are working to meet the emerging needs of both power producers and consumers resulting from such structural changes in the industry, by providing a wide range of solutions such as price hedging and supply/demand adjustment, and to expand businesses and improve functions in the electricity wholesale and trading field on a global scale.
In Europe, where mobility is becoming increasingly electrified, we have invested in Forsee in France and The Mobility House in Germany, and are engaged in the sale of vehicle storage batteries, the development of secondary uses for stationary storage batteries, and energy storage services for grid operators.
Providing solutions for next-generation energy
We provide a range of solutions for the production and commercialization of low-carbon energy through our work, such as the development and production of biofuels and other renewable energy fuels, the development and commercialization of hydrogen, ammonia and other next-generation energy, the creation of emission credits through CO2 abatement, and the development of CO2 utilization and storage technologies. We also contribute to the realization of a circular economy by producing biogas from waste. As an example of our next-generation biofuel initiatives, in 2014 we invested in LanzaTech, a venture company that produces next-generation ethanol using microbial gas fermentation technology. We are currently promoting next-generation ethanol production on a global scale using this technology.
Additionally, we are working on the development of a business producing next-generation jet fuel (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) with high environmental value, with the goal of contributing to further lowering the carbon footprint of transportation fuel. In hydrogen, we are working on a supply chain demonstration project using the organic chemical hydride method, as part of initiatives aimed at building a large-scale transport supply chain. Our goal through this work is to contribute to the realization of a “hydrogen society,” in which hydrogen is widely used in everyday life and in industrial activities.
- Distributed RE/energy management service business (U.S.A., Mexico, Brazil, India, China, Middle East, Japan)
- Biofuel and next generation jet fuel manufacturing business (U.S.A., China, India)
- EV storage battery system manufacturer (France) and energy management business using EV batteries (U.S.A., Germany)
- Electricity trading and retail business (U.S.A., Ireland, Brazil, Japan)
- Hydrogen station business (U.S.A., New Zealand)
Releases & Topics
- Oct. 13, 2022TOPICS
- Mitsui completes acquisition of Solstice Power Technologies, Inc.
- Sep. 28, 2022TOPICS
- Investment in Indonesian distributed solar power generation operator Xurya
- Sep. 16, 2022TOPICS
- Mitsui Signs Agreement to Participate in Renewable Hydrogen Project in Western Australia
- Jul. 29, 2022TOPICS
- Mitsui signs joint development agreement with U.S.-based CF Industries for clean ammonia production project