The Mitsui & Co. Environment Fund
Introduction to Grant Projects
Dept. of Environment Conservation, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology Graduate School Institute of Agriculture, Professor Hiroto Toda
Study of the spread of agroforestry in the inundation area of the Amazon River
- Project Description
This project studies fruit-bearing trees around dwellings and the growing conditions and habitat of inundated forests looking for indicator plants and soil conditions that indicate suitable land. By studying the agriculture, forestry and fishing markets and management systems of local populations it aims to construct a suitable hands-on agroforestry model for sustainable management. Leveraging the experience of local populations, and with the scientific underpinnings of indicitator plants and habitat requirements, it will be possible to confidently choose sustainable agroforestry and Acai forest management in suitable locations.
- Grant year
- FY2013 Research Grants
- Grant term
- 3 years
April 2014 - March 2017
- Grant amount
- 13,998,000 yen
- Activity region
- Tucumanduba Village, Abaetetuba, Para State, Brazil
Overview of the Organization
- Professor Hiroto Toda
- Specialist field
Forest Environment, forest soil science, forest ecology
Affiliated academic societies
The Japanese Forest Society, The Japanese Society of Forest Environment, The Ecological Society of Japan, The Japanese Society of Revegetation Technology, Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, others
Earned doctorate in Agriculture from University of Agriculture and Technology Hiroshi Noguchi No.111, and became an Assistant at the Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology. After this became an Assistant Professor, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology and then Associate Professor at the Institute of Symbiotic Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology. Following this, became a Professor, Institute of Symbiotic Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology and is currently a Professor in the Department of Environment Conservation, Institute of Agriculture (Research Organization), Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
- WEB site
- Collaborating researchers
- Masaki Yamada, Sonoko Dorothea Bellingrath-Kimura, Yosei Oikawa, Ryo Kitamura (Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology); Takuji Sato (Instituto Amigos da Floresta Amazônica (ASFLORA)), Francisco Wataru Sakaguchi (Mixed Cooperative of Tomé-Açu (CAMTA)); Ryohei Ozvaldo Kato (Empresa Brasileira de Pesquisa Agropecuária (EMBRAPA)
- Research record
- (1) Toda, H., Haibara, K. (1999) Effects of carbon properties on characteristics of nitrogen mineralization in forest soil of Kanto region, Japan. Jap J For Envron. 41: 59-66.
- (2) Kita, S., Agus, C., Toda, H., Haibara, K. (2008) Effects of short-rotation harvesting on soil microbial biomass and nitrogen mineralization in Gmelina arborea plantations in East Kalimantan. TROPICS 17.: 251-259.
- (3) Lu, X., Toda H., et. al. (2011) Hydrochemistry and nutrient budgets in a natural forest in a karst area of southwestern China, Jap J For Environ, 53, 61-71.