Sustainability Report 2022
Sustainability Report 2022
The Sustainability Report 2022 (PDF version) is a consolidated PDF version of the sustainability-related information on our website as of the end of November 2022. The website will be updated as needed after December 2022.
Sustainability Report 2022 Highlights
Major Changes from Sustainability Report 2021
Formulation of Sustainability Policy
- Organized our Company's basic approach to sustainability and approved by the Board of Directors
Formulation and revision of sustainability-related policies
- Revision of the Environmental Policy: Added items on environmental issues related to business activities, establishment of environmental management system, stakeholder engagement, remedy, education and training, and reporting to the existing policy.
- Revised Sustainable Supply Chain Policy: Added initiatives to address environmental issues, remediation guidance to suppliers, and review of transactions if no improvement is made to the existing policy.
- Health Management, Occupational Health & Safety Policy: Organized our approach to occupational health and safety and health management.
Expanded disclosure based on TCFD recommendations
- Governance Structure for Climate Change Response: Climate change response is added as one of the evaluation indicators for executive compensation from the fiscal year ending March 31, 2023.
- Transition risk analysis: Expansion of business areas covered, expansion of description of business environment awareness and business impact, and addition of 1.5°C scenario analysis
Addition of Power Generation Business List
- Added list of our power generation businesses (renewable energy, gas-fired, coal-fired, and oil-fired)
Revision of policy and basic approach
- Added our approach to the human rights aspects of water resources
Reviewed segment targets in business
- Updated goals and progress for each segment in terms of risks and opportunities associated with the transition to a circular economy
Participation in initiatives
- New participation in TNFD Forum and 30 by 30 Alliance
- Publication of statement on the UK Modern Slavery Act in FY Mar/ 2022
Human Resource Development
Implemented a global group talent management system
- System implementation integrated and platformed human resources databases to realize the right person in the right place at the right time and support each employee's autonomous career development.
Expansion of the Human Resources Britain Board system to a full year
- Introduced a year-round HR Britain Board system for matching human resource needs, and disclosed the annual schedule internally.
Supply Chain Management
Publication of palm oil mill list
- Disclosure of our suppliers' mill list
Creation of Sustainable Supply Chain Management Handbook
- Created a handbook on supply chain issues, background, and specific initiatives to inform and raise awareness of our policies among our business partners
Revision of Executive Remuneration Plan
- Revision of executive compensation plan for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2023 and thereafter approved at the Ordinary General Meeting of Shareholders held in June 2022.
- Newly included in the FTSE Blossom Japan Sector Relative Index
- Newly included in the MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index
- Selected as a Bronze Class company in S&P Global's Sustainability Award 2022
- Rated as a Low Risk Company in ESG Risk Ratings by Sustainalytics
We provide detailed ESG information on our website with the aim of delivering an explicit message to our stakeholders that Mitsui & Co. commits to creating new values through a wide range of business activities, and contributes to social and corporate sustainability
|Scope of Coverage
|Mitsui and major consolidated subsidiaries and associated companies. The scope of coverage for numerical data is provided individually in appended notes.
|The Sustainability Report 2022 mainly covers our initiatives carried out in the period from April 2021 to March 2022 (the fiscal year ended March 2022, "FY Mar/2022"), as well as part of our policy and initiatives carried out in the period up to November 2022 (the fiscal year ending March 2023, "FY Mar/2023").
|Independent Practitioner's Assurance
| The star ("") indicates that the sustainability information concerned has been given limited assurance, for the purpose of increasing its reliability, by Deloitte Tohmatsu Sustainability Co., Ltd. in its independent practitioner's assurance report.
|December 2022 (Previous publication date: August 2021; next publication scheduled for December 2023)
|Sustainability Committee, Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
|Corporate Sustainability Division, Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
2-1, Otemachi 1-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8631, Japan
Sustainability Information Disclosure
Please scroll horizontally to look at table below.
|The Sustainability Report is prepared to cover detailed non-financial ESG-related information of Mitsui. The report is aimed at our multi-stakeholders and is published annually.
|Mitsui issues the Integrated Report in order for every stakeholder to gain an understanding of Mitsui's management strategies, business overview, and initiatives for sustainable value creation.
|Annual Securities Report
|The Annual Securities Report is prepared pursuant to Article 24, Section 1 of the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act and is required to be submitted to the Kanto Finance Bureau. Please refer to this report for more detailed financial information. It is issued in late June of each year.
|Corporate Governance Report
|In accordance with Japan's Corporate Governance Code, Mitsui publishes a Corporate Governance Report that provides details on Mitsui's basic corporate governance approach and structure. Mitsui is also required to submit this report to the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Please refer to the PDF link for more detailed information related to Mitsui's organizational design, operational status, and evaluation of Board of Director effectiveness.
A Cautionary Note on Forward-Looking Statements:
This material contains statements (including figures) regarding Mitsui's corporate strategies, objectives, and views of future developments that are forwardlooking in nature and are not simply reiterations of historical facts. These statements are presented to inform stakeholders of the views of Mitsui's management but should not be relied on solely in making investment and other decisions. You should be aware that a number of known or unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to outcomes that differ materially from those presented in such forward-looking statements. These risks, uncertainties and other factors referred to above include, but are not limited to, those contained in Mitsui's latest Annual Securities Report and Quarterly Securities Report, and Mitsui undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements.