Mitsui & Co.’s Materiality
Secure sustainable supply of essential products
Ensure the sustainable and stable supply of resources, materials, food and manufactured products that are vital for the development of society.
Recognition of Societal Issues
As population continues to expand, especially in emerging countries, the sustainable supply of resources, energy, raw materials, food, manufactured products, and other items essential for social development and the achievement of greater prosperity will become an increasingly important priority. Also essential is the development of sustainable, stable supply structures capable of responding to the effects of climate change.
- Population growth and expanding demand for resources, energy, raw materials, food, manufactured products, etc.
- Improvement of production and supply capacity to respond to the climate change
- Safety and security of food and manufactured products
Major Risks and Opportunities
- Climate change-related supply failures affecting resources, energy, raw materials, food, manufactured products, etc.
- Reputational damage resulting from safety and health problems affecting the final consumers of food and manufactured products
- Ensuring sustainable supplies of resources, energy, raw materials, food, manufactured products, etc.
- Improvement of production and supply capacity to respond to the effects of climate change
- Enhancement of competitiveness through the establishment of traceability, responsible marketing leading to demand expansion, etc.
Mitsui & Co.’s Approach
- Improvement of access to nutrition through the stable supply of food
Please scroll horizontally to look at table below.
|Theme||Related SDGs||Initiatives by Mitsui & Co.||Related policies and guidelines||Identifying material topics in GRI|
|Sustainable Supply of Resources, Energy, Materials, Food and Products||Mitsui has been building optimal supply chains from upstream to downstream levels, including procurement, production, and logistics, and contributing to the stable supply of resources, raw materials, and manufactured products (such as metals, chemicals, energy, and food). In the food business, Mitsui works to ensure supply stability and efficiency while also implementing countermeasures against climate change, abnormal weather events, and other disasters.||Indirect Economic Impacts|
|Supplying Food and Products with Ensured Safety and Security||Mitsui regards safety and security as vital prerequisites for business operations. We have formulated guidelines and rules for consumer products, while our relevant business units have adopted their own detailed rules governing the handling of these products. We have made traceability management a priority in the food business area, and are working to manage safety and security risks by holding regular food safety seminars. In the healthcare field, we provide pharmaceutical manufacturers and healthcare institutions with information to ensure the proper use of medical products as part of our responsible pharmaceutical marketing activities.||
||Indirect Economic Impacts|
|Customer Health and Safety|
When doing business in Africa, persistence is vitally important.
By adopting initiatives that embody real commitment, we aim to establish a significant presence in the African market.