Social Contribution Activities
Our Approach towards Social Contribution Activities
Our corporate mission is to “build brighter futures, everywhere”. Based on this corporate mission, Mitsui & Co. has pursued sustainable growth not only for our company but also for society, by fostering trust among diverse stakeholders. We strive to solve social challenges through both business and social contribution activities, realizing a better tomorrow for the earth and for people around the world. Furthermore, we value employees’ awareness on social issues and encourage their volunteer work contributing to community and society.
Priority Areas for Social Contribution Activities
In striving to realize our corporate mission to “build brighter futures, everywhere”, we have identified five material issues that have a large impact on our business operations as well as that are important for our stakeholders. In our social contribution activities, we have set out the priority areas of “community contribution”, “environmental conservation” and “human resources development”, in accordance with our MVV (Mission, Vision, Values) and Materiality.
- Community contribution:
- We contribute to the sound development of communities, aiming to build a globally sustainable society.
- Environmental conservation:
- We work to create an eco-friendly society, as a company that operates various business globally.
- Human resources development:
- We provide a variety of learning opportunities to develop talent leading to new value creation.
Through these initiatives, we particularly aim to achieve the following SDGs’ 17-Goals: No.4 (Quality Education), No.8 (Decent Work and Economic Growth), and No.15 (Life on Land).
Social Contributions (Fiscal Year Ended March 2020)
The total social contribution expenses for the fiscal year ended March 2020 were 1.51* billion yen.(Charitable donations 5%, Community investments 36%, Commercial initiatives 59%)
* Figures include cash donations and monetary conversion equivalent of in-kind payments. However, activities such as personal donations by employees and volunteer activities have not been included.
Political Contributions (Fiscal Year Ended March 2020)
Total political contributions for the fiscal year ended March 2020 were 28 million yen.
*This figure was reported in the government’s report of political funds issued on November 27, 2020.