Mitsui & Co. (Australia) Ltd.
Sustainability at Mitsui & Co.
Participation in Initiatives
Mitsui & Co. Australia supports various initiatives in pursuit of global sustainability – in line with our parent company, Mitsui & Co.
United Nations Global Compact
In October 2004, Mitsui & Co. signed and pledged its support for the UN Global Compact. Mitsui & Co. Australia participates in their global survey every other year in order to ensure our continued compliance with the ten principles of UN Global Compact.
- 1. Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- 2. make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- 3. Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- 4. the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- 5. the effective abolition of child labour; and
- 6. the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- 7. Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- 8. undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- 9. encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- 10. Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a clear statement of global priorities and visions that need to be realised so that poverty can be eliminated and all people can enjoy dignity and equality of opportunity, with consideration given to balancing sustainable growth and the limits of the Earth.
As a general trading company, Mitsui & Co. Australia conducts a diverse range of business across nations and regions. We believe that this allows us to make a wide-ranging contribution to the achievement of the 17 goals set out under the SDGs.
Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)
The TCFD recommendations aim to facilitate companies to recognise financial impacts arising from risks and opportunities associated with climate change and to disclose such climate-related information.
Mitsui & Co. Australia contributes to the annual survey on climate-related data conducted by Mitsui & Co.
Fairtrade advocates for better working conditions and improved terms of trade for farmers and workers in developing countries.
Fairtrade is a movement for change that helps get a better deal through our shopping choices. Fairtrade advocates for better working conditions and improved terms of trade for farmers and workers in developing countries. Mitsui & Co. Australia is a Fair Trade Workplace. At our head office in Melbourne, we purchase Fairtrade consumables, and continue to explore ways to incorporate Fairtrade products into our workplace.