The Mitsui & Co. Environment Fund
Introduction to Grant Projects
Association for Nature Restoration and Conservation, Japan (NPO)
Human resources development project for conserving future biodiversity: practical environmental education to get closer to nature
- Project Description
Efforts to conserve local biodiversity are being carried out by environmental groups in each region of Japan. However, a lack of people has made it difficult to ensure activities continue, and it is clear that there is a need to cultivate more personnel who can take responsibility for conservation activities. This project cooperates with environmental groups to implement programs encouraging children to participate in environmental conservation activities in four fieldwork sites located in parks and hills in the Greater Tokyo area. Since the 16th program, activity guidelines have been created so that every generation, including children, can participate
- Ecosystems and the Symbiotic Society
- Grant year
- FY14/3 Activity Grants
- Grant term
- 2 years
October 2014 - September 2016
- Grant amount
- 4,420,000 yen
- Activity region
- Tokyo Metropolitan area; Kanagawa Prefecture; Saitama Prefecture, Japan
Overview of the Organization
- Kato Masayuki, Chairman
- Establishment purpose
- The association aims to contribute to the creation of a sustainable society that coexists with nature through activities such as investigative research, awareness-raising, personnel training, and support activities, in areas such as conservation and restoration of the natural environment, restoration and distribution of physical resources, and the promotion of environmental education, carried out by members in partnership with the wider public.
- Main areas of activity
- Across Japan
- 4 full-time staff members, 8 part-time staff members, 238 full members
- Annual operating budget
- 35.58 million yen in 2012, 22.42 million yen in 2013, 80.85 million yen in 2014
- WEB site
- Collaborating organizations
- Kashinomiya Park Nature Club, Yato-Yamazaki Association (NPO), Citizens Association for Protecting Carlit Forest, Tsurugishima City Agricultural Exchange Center
- Recent activities
- Conserving, restoring, and creating natural environments; restoring and distributing physical resources, research relating to environmental education and holding seminars, symposiums, and workshops to promote and publicise this.
- Instruction regarding conservation of the environment in mountain forests, hills, and drainage land used for agriculture and the like; regional support activities involving members and the general public; ecotourism; etc.
- Implementing training and certificiation for environmental regeneration, and activities to cultivate specialist environmental regeneration personnel.