The Mitsui & Co. Environment Fund
Introduction to Grant Projects
Nagasaki University, Organization for Marine Science and Technology Coordinator: Yoichi Oda
Research on the symbiosis of offshore wind power and aquaculture
- Project Description
In Japan, there is sea area with excellent offshore wind conditions that could be expected to provide more than 20GW of offshore wind power generation, 5% or more of total electric power generation, and ultimately reduce power generation costs. Despite this, the offshore areas are largely yet to be utilized, with most offshore wind power projects being limited to areas near the coast. Meanwhile, despite an increase in demand for fisheries products as a result of global population growth, Japan's fisheries volume now accounts for about 1.6 trillion yen, approximately half the amount recorded in 1982 (approx. 3 trillion yen), and fisheries workers are aging and their numbers are declining. In response to these circumstances, this research will evaluate the viability of an offshore aquafarming and wind power symbiosis model, and will be conducted in remote islands off Nagasaki Prefecture. If successful, this model is expected to help revitalize the local fishing industry through aquafarming, as well as the full-scale development of the offshore wind energy industry. [No. R18-0060]
- Global Environment
- Grant year
- FY2018 Research Grants
- Grant term
- 3 years (April 2019 - March 2022)
- Grant amount
- Activity region
- Nagasaki and other Kyushu prefectures
Overview of the Organization
- Project organization
- Nagasaki University
Organization for Marine Science and Technology
- Coordinator: Yoichi Oda
- Specialist field: Offshore wind power generation, Ocean current and tidal power generation, Seabed resource development, etc.
Affiliated academic societies: Ocean Energy Association - Japan (OEAJ), World Wind Energy Conference (WWEC), Japan Institute of Light Metals
March 1977: Obtained a PhD from the Nagoya University Graduate School of Engineering
April 1977: Joined Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
September 1984: Joined Mitsui & Co., Ltd.'s UK division
April 1993: Joined Mitsui Knowledge Industry (Next Com Corp.) as Director, President & CEO
October 2001: Joined Mitsui Bussan Metals Co., Ltd. as General Manager, Recycling Business Division
April 2008: Joined Mitsui & Co. Global Strategic Studies Institute
October 2017: Joined Nagasaki University's Organization for Marine Science and Technology
- Research record
- Japan's noteworthy seabed resources., Trends in marine interests and new resource development., Latest development trends for undersea mineral resources. Mitsui & Co. Global Strategic Studies Institute (Dec. 2010).
- Industry establishment of tidal power and wave power generation and conditions for market expansion. Japan Federation of Ocean Engineering Societies, Ocean Engineering Panel (Jul. 2010).
- Global trends centered on offshore wind power. Japan Federation of Ocean Engineering Societies, Ocean Engineering Panel (Mar. 2013).
- Seafloor Mineral Resources for Industrial Use-New Mineral Resources in Japanese Exclusive Economic Zone (co-author). Mar. 2013. CMC Books.
- Perspective on offshore wind in Japan. Oct. 2016. World Wind Energy Conference 2016 Tokyo.
- Europe's expanding offshore wind power and Japan's challenges. Nagasaki Keizai. Dec. 2017.
- Tidal turbine array design and energy yield assessment for Naru Strait. Japan (co-author). Sep. 2018. Asian Wave and Tidal Conference (AWTEC2018) in Taipei.
- Dec. 2009 - Sep. 2017 Japan Business Federation Ocean Development Promotion Committee member
- Jan. 2012 - Mar. 2012 NEDO, Marine power generation technology R&D, Information Gathering and Analysis Committee member
- Sep. 2013 - May 2014 Cabinet Secretariat Integrated Ocean Policy Headquarters, Participation Council - Marine Industry Promotion, Creation PT member
- Oct. 2013 - Mar. 2015 Nagoya University Visiting Professor
- Jan. 2016 - Mar. 2017 Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Science and Technology Council, Ocean Development Subcommittee, Next Generation Deep Sea Exploration System Committee member
- Mar. 2016 - Mar. 2018 JAMSTEC Innovation Promotion Program Selection member
- Dec. 2018 - Mar. 2020 JAMSTEC Strategic Innovation Program 2nd Phase, "Innovative Deep Sea Resources Research Technology" Peer Review member
- WEB site