The Mitsui & Co. Environment Fund
Introduction to Grant Projects
Toxic Watch Network
Investigation of a chemical substances management framework - Dissemination and awareness-raising on effective usage method of PRTR and GHS
- Project Description
While five years have passed since the enforcement of the PRTR system to calculate and make public the emission of harmful chemical substances from, for example, workplaces within Japan, it cannot necessarily be said that it is firmly established. In this context, this activity engages in awareness-raising of effective usage methods from the perspective of citizens, through seminars, etc. to advise towards the revision of the system. In addition, we also conduct notifications together with establishment of the toxic display system to citizens by means of the GHS system which has been in operation since 2006 (a globally harmonized system for the classification and labeling of chemical goods).
- Grant year
- FY2006 Activity Grants
- Grant term
- 1 year
July 2006 - June 2007
- Grant amount
- 3,000,000 yen
- Activity region
- All Japan
Overview of the Organization
- Shigeharu Nakachi, President
- Establishment Purpose
- Aims to contribute to the realization of a reduction of environmental risk from chemical substances, conservation of living environments, and creation of a material cycles society by providing easily-understandable PRTR information and related information to citizens and supporting its use by citizens. Participates in planning of risk management for harmful chemical substances while promoting risk communication by means of partnerships with business interests and administrative bodies.
- Main areas of activity
- Throughout Japan
- 3 part-time staff members, 120 full members
- Annual operating budget
- 8.3 million yen in 2005, 7.01 million yen in 2006, 6.44 million yen in 2007
- WEB site
- Recent activities
- (1) Information provision on PRTR and chemical substances measures by website.
- (2) Holding of symposium, seminars and study meets as dissemination and awareness-raising projects for use of PRTR by citizens and reduction of chemical substances. In particular, holding of annual international citizen's seminar to introduce latest activity regarding trends in EU, REACH and NGOs.
- (3) Commissioning of surveys and research from administrative and industry bodies.
- (4) Advising on national chemical substances measures through administrative committees with president participation and public representations and comments.
- (5) Promoting information exchange with NGOs in Europe and the United States and the creation of networks.