The Mitsui & Co. Environment Fund
Introduction to Grant Projects
Japan International Volunteer Center (NPO)
Efforts aimed at the reconstruction of living habitats, recovery of autonomous functions, and the creation of sustainable communities in the Urashima Region of Kesennuma City
- Project Description
The Urashima Region of Shishiori, Kesennuma City underwent a significant drop in population following the earthquake, and it is now on the verge of becoming a marginal hamlet. We support the reconstruction of housing for people relocating to high ground and the formation of housing developments on high ground in this region. At the same time, we also offer support for the reorganization of local government organizations and the recovery of autonomous functions so that residents living in the existing village and those that have moved to high ground have sense of being a cohesive village. Furthermore, we aim for the creation of vibrant communities together with residents that effectively utilize regional resources in a region that is facing depopulation.
- Grant year
- FY2013 Activity Grants
- Grant term
- 3 years
October 2013 - September 2016
- Grant amount
- 15,000,000 yen
- Activity region
- Kesennuma City, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan
Overview of the Organization
- Hiroshi Taniyama, Managing Director
- Establishment year
- Establishment purpose
- The purpose is to 1) support people working to improve on their own difficult situations imposed by society through international cooperative activities in various places around the world, and 2) create new ways of living and human relationships through activities aimed at preservation of the global environment and social education activities in order to create societies in which everyone in the world can coexist together with nature and each other.
- Main activity areas
- Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, South Africa, Sudan, Afghanistan, Palestine, Iraq, Korea, Kisennuma City, Miyagi-ken; Minamisouma City, Fukushima Prefecture
- Number of staff members
- 96 full-time staff, 4 part-time staff, 559 full members
- Annual operating budget
- 326.32 million yen in 2011, 355.96 million yen in 2012, 374.81 million yen in 2013
- WEB site
- Main activities
- (1) Sustainable development
Support the effective conservation and use of natural resources for sustainable development by people around the world and activities for the creation of regionally-sufficient and conservation-based societies.
- (2) Response to conflicts
Conduct activities that lead to the protection of human rights and reconciliation in regions where there are conflicts. In addition, contribute to conflict prevention through interchange with local communities.
- (3) Assistance during disasters and livelihood reconstruction
Provide support when there are disasters, and provide assistance and livelihood reconstruction support for sufferers of wars and disasters.
- (4) Creation of citizens' networks
Conduct research and provide recommendations on structural issues such as the creation of citizens' networks, environmental issues, the North-South divide, and wars.
- (1) Sustainable development