Mitsui & Co., (Thailand) Ltd.
Mitsui in Thailand: A Legacy of Enterprise and Partnership
Mitsui Thailand has continued to contribute to the development of Thailand’s society and economy in the form of new growth infrastructure development, the transfer of technology and know-how, and making strategic investments. We take pride in our many contributions to the country’s economic and social development, and intend to continue this role in the future.
From 1949 to 1960s
- Daiichi Bussan dispatched representatives to Thailand
- Opened representative office of Daiichi Bussan
- Established the First branch office
Photo: First office of former Daiichi Bussan at Surawong Road
- Formed Mitsui Bussan Kaisha (Thailand) Ltd. and moved to new building, no. 297 at Surawong Road.
- Changed company name to Mitsui & Co., (Thailand) Ltd.
Photo: Mitsui Bussan Kaisha (Thailand) Surawong Road
- Mitsiam International, Ltd. was founded. Office moved to 6th Flr. Boon Mitr Tower
Photo: Boon Mitr Tower Silom Road
1990s and beyond
- Moved to new office in Sathorn City Tower
- 100th Year anniversary since Former Mitsui* started operating in Thailand.
Photo: Sathorn City Tower, Sathorn Road
* There has been no legal continuation between Former Mitsui and the current Mitsui & Co.
Our Roots - Exploring New Horizons in Thailand
1906 – 1945: Pioneering the Thai Frontier
Former Mitsui’s engagement with Thailand traces back to 1906 when the company establised its overseas office in Bangkok as a pioneer of Japanese company. At the turn of the century, Thailand was known as Siam, a kingdom with a rich cultural heritage and abundant natural resources. Former Mitsui recognized the immense potential of this nation and embarked on a journey that would span generations.
In its early years in Thailand, Former Mitsui primarily focused on the teak trade. It’s operations played a pivotal role in exporting teak from Thailand to markets worldwide. However, their endeavors were not limited to timber. Recognizing the need for diversification, the company sought to open new markets for various products, including rice, silk, cloth, cotton, and coal. These efforts laid the foundation for a diversified and resilient presence for Former Mitsui in Thailand.
In 1935, the Bangkok representative office was promoted to Bangkok Branch of Former Mitsui. Along with the expansion of the trading businesses, the number of employees of the branch had grown to over 100. But with the end of World War II led to the confiscation of all assets of the Bangkok Branch of Former Mitsui.