Services & Products
Energy Business Unit II
A global player in the LNG/natural gas business and environmental business
- Development of liquefied natural gas (LNG)/natural gas projects
- Trading and marketing of LNG/natural gas
- New value-added ways of commercializing natural gas
- Development of next-generation energy and environmental business
Cameron LNG Project (02:25)
Securing LNG/Natural gas for growing global demand
LNG/natural gas is the core business of the Energy Business Unit II. Due to the increasing need for environmentally friendly energy, demand for LNG/natural gas (a clean energy source with low greenhouse gas emissions) is increasing worldwide. We expect that the LNG/natural gas industry will continue to play a major role in the global energy sector and grow on a long-term basis.
Since participating in the Abu Dhabi LNG project in the 1970s, we have become widely involved across the entire LNG value chain, from LNG production, to transportation and marketing. We are participating in LNG development projects throughout the world, in Australia, Qatar, Abu Dhabi, Oman, Russia, Indonesia, Equatorial Guinea, and the U.S.A.
Through major projects such as Sakhalin II, which we have been participating in since 1992, we intend to ensure the stable long-term supply of LNG/natural gas while also aiming to further expand our LNG/natural gas business, leveraging our network of relationships with gas-producing countries and project partners. We found large scale natural gas resources in offshore Mozambique, and are carrying out a study on the development of a new LNG project in the area. Additionally, we began construction of facilities for the Cameron project to export LNG from the State of Louisiana, U.S.A. We are also carrying out a study on development of the Browse gas and condensate field off Western Australia. We are also strengthening our LNG and natural gas sales capabilities in the global market and working on new value-added ways of commercializing natural gas in addition to conventional LNG.
Development of next generation energy and environmental business
We aim to develop projects that support the prevention of global warming and realization of a low-carbon society through environmental and next-generation energy initiatives, including the commercialization of renewable energies such as biofuels, development of next-generation energy sources, and development of a hydrogen transportation and storage model.
In 2014, we invested in Lanza Tech, a venture company that is developing a gas fermentation process technology using microorganisms, and in 2015, we completed the Callide Oxyfuel Demonstration Project in Australia, successfully demonstrating Oxyfuel technology which captures CO2 emitted from coal-fired power plants.
In February 2017, we started to sell electricity generated at a fixed price under the Feed-in-Tariff Scheme for Renewable Energy at our wood biomass power plant in Tomakomai, Hokkaido.
- Abu Dhabi LNG project (UAE)
- Western Australia LNG project (Australia)
- Qatar LNG project (Qatar)
- Oman LNG project (Oman)
- Sakhalin II crude oil and natural gas development and production project (Russia)
- Tangguh LNG project (Indonesia)
- Equatorial Guinea LNG project (Equatorial Guinea)
- Cameron LNG project (U.S.A.)
- Mozambique Area1 LNG project (Mozambique)
- Browse LNG project (Australia)
- Dec. 11, 2015
- North West Shelf Project: Final Investment Decision Reached on Greater Western Flank Phase 2 Project