Evaluation by Society
Our selection for inclusion in major ESG investment indices in and outside Japan indicates that we are highly evaluated by society.
Dow Jones Sustainability Indices
The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices（DJSI） are global stock indexes developed jointly by S&P Group member Dow Jones & Company, in the U.S. and RobecoSAM AG in Switzerland. Major corporations around the world are evaluated in terms of their economic, environmental, and social performance.
Based on our response to the questionnaire carried out in 2021, we were selected for the World Index and the Asia Pacific Index.
FTSE4Good Index Series
The FTSE4Good Index Series is a series of stock indexes developed by FTSE Russell, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the London Stock Exchange. FTSE Russell evaluates major corporations around the world from the perspective of environmental, social, and governance criteria, including the labor standards applied throughout their supply chains, as well as on the basis of corporate sustainability. It selects companies that satisfy its standards as constituents of the index. Mitsui has fulfilled the index criteria, and has continually been selected in the FTSE4 Good Index Series since 2004.
FTSE Blossom Japan Index
The FTSE Blossom Japan Index is designed to measure the performance of Japanese companies that demonstrate strong environmental, social, and governance (ESG) practices. The index uses FTSE Russell's ESG Ratings data model, which draws on existing international ESG standards such as the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and is adopted by the Government Pension Investment Fund (GPIF) of Japan as a core ESG benchmark for its passive investments. Mitsui fulfilled the criteria of the index and was selected in the FTSE Blossom Japan Index.
MSCI Japan Empowering Women Index (WIN)
Developed by Morgan Stanley Capital Investment (MSCI), the MSCI Japan Empowering Women Index is adopted by GPIF as a tracking benchmark for its passive ESG investment. The index is a selection of Japanese companies from each industry that represent high gender diversity. Mitsui fulfilled the criteria of the index and was selected in the MSCI Japan Empowering Women Index.
The inclusion of Mitsui in any MSCI index, and the use of MSCI logos, trademarks, service marks or index names herein, do not constitute a sponsorship, endorsement or promotion of Mitsui by MSCI or any of its affiliates. The MSCI indexes are the exclusive property of MSCI. MSCI and the MSCI index names and logos are trademarks or service marks of MSCI or its affiliates.
Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP)
CDP is an ESG evaluation program that urges leading companies (in terms of market capitalization) in major countries to disclose their climate change strategies and greenhouse gas emissions. Replies from such companies, together with their scores, are provided to institutional investors. Mitsui has been responding to the questionnaire since 2011. Based on our response to the questionnaire carried out in 2020, we were granted the rating "Management Level B" in relation to Climate Change, Water Security, and Forests (timber).
Since the fiscal year ended March 2013, METI and the TSE have been jointly selecting TSE-listed outstanding enterprises that encourage women's success in the workplace as "Nadeshiko Brands." Since the fiscal year ended March 2015, Mitsui has been selected as a Nadeshiko or Semi-Nadeshiko Brand company for 7 consecutive years.
Nadeshiko Brand selection: Fiscal years ended March 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020 and 2021
Semi-Nadeshiko Brand selection: Fiscal years ended March 2017 and 2019
Eruboshi (L Star)
The Eruboshi system certifies companies that have submitted notifications under the Act on Promotion of Women's Participation and Advancement in the Workplace (Promotion of Women's Career Activities Act) promulgated on April 1, 2016, and that meet the specific standards and are regarded as implementing outstanding initiatives to promote the advancement of women in the workplace. Mitsui was certified as having achieved the second of three levels under the Eruboshi system.
Kurumin certification is given to "child-raising supporting companies" on an application basis. The certification requires that the company (1) has formulated a general employers action plan under the Act on Advancement of Measures to Support Raising Next-Generation Children and (2) has achieved targets set in the plan while satisfying certain requirements. Mitsui has been certified by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare as a company actively providing childcare support, three times in 2008, 2011, and 2015, acquiring the next-generation development logo, "Kurumin."
Certified Health & Productivity Management Organization Recognition Program
Through this program, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and the Nippon Kenko Kaigi jointly recognize large companies and small- to medium-sized enterprises that have been implementing excellent health management, based on measures in line with local health problems and the health promotion initiatives pursued by the Nippon Kenko Kaigi. Mitsui has been recognized as one of the Health & Productivity Management Outstanding Organizations under the initiative "White 500" for five consecutive years.
Noteworthy DX Companies 2021
Mitsui has been selected by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and the Tokyo Stock Exchange as one of "Noteworthy DX Companies 2021" in the "DX Stocks".
From among TSE-listed companies, METI and TSE select companies which have established internal systems for promoting digital transformation (DX) that contribute to improving corporate value and which have achieved outstanding digital utilization.
The objectives are to penetrate the target corporate model widely and to promote a change in management awareness of the importance of IT utilization.
This year, 28 companies were selected as "DX Stocks 2021" and 20 companies, including Mitsui, were selected as "Noteworthy DX Companies 2021".
Mitsui was highly evaluated for its continuous efforts to promote DX comprehensive strategy that aims to improve business profitability, and transform and create business models by utilizing digital technology and data under the theme of "Transform and Grow" in our Medium-term Management Plan 2023.
Awards Received in Past Five Years
Fiscal Year Ended March 2022
Japan Investor Relations Association (JIRA) IR Grand Prix
Mitsui was awarded its first IR Grand Prix Award at the 26th IR Awards 2021, hosted by JIRA. We were previously a recipient of the Best IR Award in 2008, 2018 and 2019, and the IR Special Award in 2014.
Securities Analysts Association Award for Excellence in Corporate Disclosure
Mitsui was selected by The Securities Analysts Association of Japan for the top award in the Commerce Industry Category at the 2021 Awards for Excellence in Corporate Disclosure. This is the sixth time in total and the fifth year running that we have received this award.
Daiwa Investor Relations "Internet IR Award 2021" Excellence Award, and Sustainability Category Grand Prize
Mitsui received the Excellence Award at the "2021 Internet IR Awards" hosted by Daiwa Investor Relations Co., Ltd. We also received the Grand Prize in the Sustainability Category, which was newly established in 2021.
Fiscal Year Ended March 2021
- Selected for Excellence in Disclosure by the Securities Analysts Association of Japan
- Received the Daiwa Investor Relations "Internet IR Award 2020" Grand Prize
Fiscal Year Ended March 2020
- Received the Best IR Award at the IR Awards 2019 by the Japan Investor Relations Association (JIRA)
- Selected for the top award in the Commerce Industry category and won third place in the Disclosure to Individual Investors category at the 2019 Awards for Excellence in Corporate Disclosure by the Securities Analysts Association of Japan
- Received the Award for Excellence at the 22nd Nikkei Annual Report Awards (2019) by Nikkei, Inc.
- Received Education Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Minister’s Prize in the Corporate Youth Experience Promotion Awards of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (Mitsui SASUGAKU Academy)
Fiscal Year Ended March 2019
- Received the Best IR Award at the IR Awards 2018 by the Japan Investor Relations Association (JIRA)
- Selected for the top award in the Commerce Industry category and won second place in the Disclosure to Individual Investors category (selected out of 28 companies that represent the top 10% of each industry) at the "2018 Awards for Excellence in Corporate Disclosure" by the Securities Analysts Association of Japan
- Received the Award for Excellence at the 21st Nikkei Annual Report Awards (2018) by Nikkei, Inc.
- Received Award of Merit in the Environmental Report section of the Environmental Communication Awards 2018 by the Japanese Ministry of the Environment
- Received the Judging Panel's Incentive Prize in the Corporate Youth Experience Promotion Awards of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (Mitsui SASUGAKU Academy)
Fiscal Year Ended March 2018
- Selected for the top award in the Commerce Industry category at the 2017 Awards for Excellence in Corporate Disclosure by the Securities Analysts Association of Japan
- Received the Award for Excellence at the 20th Nikkei Annual Report Awards (2017) by Nikkei, Inc.
- Received the Judging Panel's Special Prize in the Corporate Youth Experience Promotion Awards of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (Mitsui SASUGAKU Academy)