Gate 2 Strategic Edge
A Business Model That Maximizes Our Comprehensive Strength
Through our original business of trading, Mitsui has cultivated expansive networks comprising a wide range of clients and has leveraged these networks to carry out business investments. Mitsui gets involved in management of the projects in which we have invested in an effort to enhance their value. In turn, these projects help Mitsui further promote our trading business and expand our networks. Through the repetition of this cycle, Mitsui has developed our current business structure.
Our pool of diverse professionals work to combine the sophisticated product expertise that each business unit possesses with our regional expertise, which is supported by local employees who are active in regions around the world, and various functional expertise as a general trading company. In this way, these professionals are leveraging our long-cultivated client base and networks to create new business models and pursue new projects.
Mitsui’s Business Portfolio
Mitsui seeks to improve the value of businesses that were created from its comprehensive strength, by thoroughly fortifying them and pursuing synergies with other businesses. We review our entire portfolio for areas where value can be improved with better strategies and by leveraging the Company’s functions. We examine whether business value is approaching a peak, and will move to sell the business if that leads to a higher-quality portfolio and greater value. By repeating this process, we create a cycle of portfolio improvement and value creation.
Mitsui’s Forte in Six Functions
- Marketing:Create new markets by drawing on sales capabilities developed through extensive experience aligned with various business practices as well as our powerful information gathering and analysis expertise
- Logistics:Provide optimal logistics solutions in both transportation and cost efficiency
- Finance:Offer and advise on various financial functions, from fund procurement and financial structuring to trade finance
- Risk management:Propose risk reduction and control by utilizing know-how accumulated over many years
- Management:Create competitive businesses by maximizing comprehensive strengths and application of management resources. Realize sustained value improvement
- Digital transformation:Optimize business processes and revolutionize business models by utilizing AI and IoT
The diverse range of products that general trading companies handle—born to be diversified
As a general trading company, Mitsui’s bread-and-butter business has always been trading. To leverage the superior trading functions that we possess to the fullest, Mitsui has naturally formed a business structure for handling an extensive lineup of products through a wide variety of outlets. Our traditional core competencies have been trading activities that link product demand with product supply and the extensive network of clients we have acquired through these trading activities. Additionally, these competencies have included the judgment capabilities, keen awareness, and appropriate conduct of our employees, who have helped us maintain and expand our network.