Sustainability at Mitsui & Co.
Mitsui & Co.’s Value Creation
Mitsui & Co.'s Value Creation
Companies can only be sustainable if the societies they operate in are sustainable, and unsustainable companies cannot fulfill their social responsibilities. At Mitsui & Co., we try to anticipate changes in society with each era. We reflect on how we should advance our capabilities and ceaselessly challenge ourselves to express our potential in ways that bring the most benefit to society.
We believe that we must continually improve the way we engage with environmental and societal issues, listen closely to our stakeholders, and ensure that we have a clear understanding of key concerns, issues, and expectations. It is then our responsibility to contribute to addressing issues and meeting expectations in the most effective way possible.
We continue to ensure that all of our employees share our management philosophy, as expressed in our Mission, Vision, and Values, and to strengthen our robust management platform, including our governance and risk management systems. At the same time, working alongside our stakeholders, our aim is to pursue business in a manner expressed in our “360° business innovation.” slogan.
This slogan indicates that one of our greatest strengths is our ability to connect ideas, information, customers, and business partners to create new value around the world so as to strive to contribute to the creation of a future where the aspirations of the people can be fulfilled. This is what Mitsui is expected to do and how Mitsui strives to create new value in pursuit of social sustainability.
* 360° business innovation. is our corporate slogan.
It expresses our message of connecting ideas, information, customers, partners and business across the planet to create new possibilities.
Corporate Mission Vision Values
In 2004 Mitsui systematically and clearly set forth in written form the implicit values we share and issued our Mission, Vision and Values (MVV). We believe that sharing this management philosophy is even more important than ever as we work to create true value around the world through our global activities.
Mission, Vision and Values (MVV)
Strive to contribute to the creation of a future where the aspirations of the people can be fulfilled.
Aim to become a global business enabler that can meet the needs of our customers throughout the world.
- Build trust with fairness and humility.
- Aspire to set high standards and to contribute to society.
- Embrace the challenge of continuous innovation.
- Foster a culture of open-mindedness.
- Strive to develop others and oneself to achieve full potential.
Basic CSR Policy
Mitsui's Basic CSR Policy, which is built upon our management philosophy of Mission, Vision and Values based on the foundation of our business activities, was formulated in 2004 and reviewed in 2013 to reflect input from society and our stakeholders. In addition, our Long-term Management Vision (formulated in 2009) for the Mitsui of 2020 upholds our goal of providing industrial solutions to meet the changing needs of the times. This goal sums up the core message of our corporate mission. In our CSR policies, our approach to sustainability as our social responsibility is clearly incorporated, and we earnestly continue to strive for its realization.
- We will conduct our business activities with honesty and integrity, make prudent efforts to understand the culture, traditions, and customs of countries and regions around the world, and reinforce the importance of CSR with each of our employees. Based on our conscientious management, we will strive to enhance corporate value to stakeholders and to produce value to society.
- We will make every effort to actively contribute to the achievement of a sustainable society through the promotion of sustainable development as well as maintaining a strong awareness of the importance of preserving the global environment. We will also emphasize the importance of interactive communication with stakeholders to understand their concerns and fulfill our accountability for our CSR activities.
- We recognize the significance and importance of the human rights contained in the general principles of international standards such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Throughout all occasions of our entire business activities, we will give due consideration to basic labor rights.
- As a global company with operations throughout the world, we will support Mitsui & Co.'s group companies in the practice and implementation of our CSR policies, and will sincerely seek our business counterparties' understanding and cooperation to support this initiative.
Mitsui's Core Values
The former Mitsui* which was established in 1876, was disbanded as part of the dissolution of Japan's zaibatsu (industrial conglomerates) shortly after the end of World War II. The current Mitsui was founded by employees of the former Mitsui that shared the values of the original company: “Challenge and Innovation”, “Open-Mindedness”, and “Focus on Human Resources”. The Mitsui of today continues to contribute to the creation of new value for society.
The way we work and the way we think are still very much based on the values espoused by Takashi Masuda, the first president of the former Mitsui, and are reflected in our stance toward our work. The principles of Mitsui's approach to sustainability as social responsibility have always reflected its founder's values, a way of thinking unchanged to this day.
* The current Mitsui was established through mergers of the various new companies that had been established after the disbandment of the former Mitsui by the order of GHQ, so legally speaking, there has been no continuation between the former Mitsui and the current Mitsui.
“Let not short term gains tempt your mind, seek only enduring prosperity by embracing grand aspirations”.
“I started Mitsui with the goal of realizing trade on a large scale, not in pursuit of money, but from the desire to work”.
“Mitsui has a pool of very talented individuals. This is Mitsui's most important asset”.
Takashi Masuda, the first president of the former Mitsui